Creative Santa Fe’s Disruptive Futures Dialogues series generates visionary new approaches to critical issues to drive positive change. Housing the Future 2.0 addressed Santa Fe’s housing needs by leveraging the art of storytelling and by highlighting real-time innovative solutions to address, and begin to solve, Santa Fe’s affordable housing crisis.
Santa Fe is currently at a 99% rental capacity and lack of affordable housing is one of the most significant obstacles for current residents and economic growth. The city urgently needs as may as 5,000 new rental units and currently builds between 65-100 units per year. We clearly need creative new approaches to tackle this seemingly intractable challenge.
This event consisted of four inspiring chapters:
1. Former SFAI Story Maps resident artists Mya Green and Yvette Serrano released limited edition affordable housing zines to attendees. These zines were thoughtfully designed to share stories and information around local housing issues. Email us at email@example.com to get a free copy of the zine mailed to you!
2. Seven local artist’s performed their responses to select housing stories to illustrate the realities of the Santa Fe housing crisis. Performers included punk rock musician Jessie Deluxe who sang the song Where Do We Go, poet Darryl Lorenzo Wellington who read the poem Contemplating Homelessness, and screenwriters Sam Dabbs and J. Weston Phippen who wrote the play Renter Stories.
3. Following the performances, multiple local and national affordable housing organizations presented their innovative and effective approaches to design, material, and community engagement to create positive and impactful change. Presenters included:
- John Quale from UNM’s ecoMOD
- Aaron Resnick from InOurHands.Love (Sulcata Home)
- Rusty Smith from Auburn University’s Rural Studio
- Omar Hakeem from [bc]workshop
4. The event wrapped-up with action meetings led by experts in the field to explore housing topics in detail. Breakout sessions included:
- Affordable Housing Overview and Q+A with the Santa Fe Housing Action Coalition
- Art + Affordable Housing Action with Littleglobe
- An Informed Homebuyer is an Empowered Homebuyer with Homewise
- Housing [E]Quality with The Life Link and Sulcata Homes.