Last Thursday, Creative Santa Fe convened an illuminating panel discussion on the growing sector of impact investing for a sold out crowd at the Santa Fe Higher Ed Center. The session concluded the first season of our BEYOND PROFIT series, in collaboration with Santa Fe Innovates and UNM Anderson. Panelists included Drew Tulchin of New Mexico Angels; Chad Cooper of One Hope Financial; and Francine Sommer of Respect Wellness.
Here are some key takeaways from the session:
- Impact investing is investment that supports businesses that will generate positive, measurable social and environmental impacts.
- Impact investing is no longer just a fad—in fact, it’s now a trillion dollar sector.
- With increased interest comes more scrutiny into what qualifies as impact investing, and how impact is measured and reported; this is a positive direction for all involved.
- New Mexico is poised for dramatic growth in this area, and is 16th in the nation with respect to the amount of money available for investment (including both public and private sources).
- Engagement in the sector isn’t limited to massive venture capital firms—impact investment can be as simple as a self-directed IRA.
- Involvement in impact investing begins with intentionality, but can include crowdfunding, engaging diverse local leaders and community organizations, or professional associations like NM Angels.
- Impact Investing Explained (Investopedia)
- Mission Investors: Impact Investing 101 (Mission Investors)
- Global Impact Investing Network (The GIIN)
- Calculating the Value of Impact Investing (Harvard Business Review)
- Regional Development Corp. Micro-Grant Fund—Deadline is May 12!
- Panelist Organizations: